Παρασκευή 23 Μαρτίου 2007

Λίγο πριν σβήσει ο Λόρδος



TO THE EARL OF CLARE Missolonghi, March 31, 1824

My Dearest Clare, - This will be presented to you by a live Greek deputy, for whom I desiderate and solicit your countenance and goodwill. I hope that you do not forget that I always regard you as my dearest friend and love you as when we were Harrow boys together; and if I do not repeat this as often as I ought, it is that I may not tire you with what you so well know.

I refer you to Signor Zaimie, the Greek deputy, for all news, public and private. He will do better than an epistle in this respect. I was sorry to hear that Dick had exported a married woman from Ireland, not only on account of morals but monies. I trust that the jury will be considerate. I thought that Richard looked sentimental when I saw him at Genoa, but little expected what he was to land in. Pray who is the lady? The papers merely inform us by dint of asterisks that she is somebody's wife and has children, and that Dick (as usual) was the intimate friend of the confiding husband. It is to be hoped that the jury will be bachelors.

Pray take care of yourself Clare, my dear, for in some of your letters I had a glimpse of a similar intrigue of yours. Have a care of an eclat. Your Irish juries lay it on heavy; and then besides you would be fixed for life with a second-hand epouse, whereas I wish to see you lead a virgin heiress from Saville Row to Mount Shannon.

Let me hear from you at your best leisure, and believe me ever and most truly, my dearest Clare,

Yours,
NOEL BYRON

P.S. - The Turkish fleet are just bearing down to blockade this port; so how our deputy is to get by is a doubt, but the island boats frequently evade them.

The sight is pretty, but much finer for a limner than a lodger. It is the Squadron from the Gulf of Corinth (Hooke-Gulf of Lepanto); they (the Greeks, I mean) are all busy enough, as you may suppose, as the campaign is expected to commence next month. But as aforesaid I refer you for news to the bearer.

(σσ. Ο Λόρδος Βύρωνας έφυγε στις 19 Απριλίου του ίδιου έτους, δέκα μέρες αφού είχε αρρωστήσει με πυρετό και 19 ημέρες αφού συνέταξε την παραπάνω επιστολή. Δυο χρόνια αργότερα, στις 10 Απριλίου, έπεσε ηρωικά το Μεσολόγγι...)

SYNC ME @ SYNC buzz it!

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: